The “Zeughaus” is one of the grandest complexes of the free imperial town of Ulm and is situated on the outskirts of the town centre.
Its origins can be traced to the town’s expansion in the early 14th century, even though it is not mentioned until 1433.
Wide-ranging extensions carried out in the 16th and 17th century resulted in an impressive building complex, which served as an arms depot. The large enclosed courtyard was an important meeting place for the town’s citizens. The extensive remains of the arsenal, which was severely damaged in 1945, show how large the complex originally was. The exterior is characterised by the typical ashlar markings and facetted stone window-encasements. The portals decorated with baroque and renaissance motives are impressive.
The vaulted ceilings of the previous lion-building are still intact and the building is still used today for public events. There are only a few items remaining from the large arsenal, as most were taken by the French troops during the Napoleonic wars.