Markieren Sie Ihre Favoriten über das Flaggen-Icon und erstellen Sie so Ihren persönlichen Trip Planner.
20 UlmCard Download Home Home 0

Fort Oberer Kuhberg

Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile

No other works of the former Federal Fortifications of Ulm (1842–1859) reflect German history as this fort does.

The building work alone (1842–1857) was challenging, as it was repeatedly subject to land slides. Due to the discovery of more modern weapons and improved artillery techniques, the fort had to be continually modified over the following decades.

Everyone is impressed by the apparently endless corridors behind the walls, with their 54 ›Kasematten‹ (bunkers) and the 24 infantry bunkers in the western exterior wall (›Contrescarpe‹). The fort has a covered area of about 4,000 square meters, but this is only a tenth of the area covered by the walls and ditches. Shots in defence of this fort have never fallen.

From 1933 to 1935, ›Fort Oberer Kuhberg‹ was used as a preventive detention centre for opponents to the Nazi regime.

The grounds within the walls of the fort are only accessible via the ›Dokumentationszentrum Oberer Kuhberg - KZ Gedenkstätte e.V‹ and the ›Förderkreis Bundesfestung Ulm e.V.‹ There is no open public access.


Fort Oberer Kuhberg
Am Hochsträß 1
89081 Ulm
Phone +49 731 1598779

Opening hours

No public access.
For up-to-date information on visits, see the website.
Tours are only available in German. 


Share this page

Your city trip is just one click away

Accommodation for every taste