Get yourself inspired!
Book your stay in Ulm/Neu-Ulm right away!
›Ulmer Schachtel‹ is a wooden boat well-known from the Black Forest to the Black Sea. It was used in the 18th century when sailors transported emigrants to Hungary. 400,000 Germans settled in regions that are now situated in Romania, Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia.
The museum tells the story of the lives of these Danube Swabians living in villages and towns. It illustrates their working, living and clothing culture. The exhibition shows the developments of the 20th century when excessive nationalism was driving a wedge between neighbouring countries that had lived in peaceful coexistence until then. It describes the flight, expulsion, deportation of Danube Swabians after 1945 and provides information on the current situation of German minorities in Southeast Europe.
The Edwin Scharff Museum at the Petrusplatz, which opended in 1999 houses Neu-Ulm's historical collections. You can also find the most important works of Edwin Scharff here. Oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and especially sculptures trace the path from his early beginnings to his later works. Temporary exhibitions complement and enhance the permanent collection.
Scharff devoted himself to the art of the 20th century, with views into the 19th century and to the present day. The emphasis of the exhibitions is on the Edwin Scharff époque, i.e. the period from 1887 to 1955. In pursuing his artistic development, one aspect the museum focuses on is sculpture.
Edwin Scharff Museum
The exhibition shows the most important events and topics of the history of Ulm from its beginnings to the present. Key components of the exhibitions are exhibits, models and large-scale prints and especially interactive media installations.
The west wall of the exhibition room consists of ashlar masonry dating from the beginning of the 13th century that protected the city wall of the former Holy Roman Imperial palace.
Haus der Stadtgeschichte
Within 50 years, the entrepreneurial couple Siegfried and Jutta Weishaupt built up a priceless collection of modern and contemporary arts. The collection is housed in the newly built privately owned museum, which has been open to the public since November 2007.
It offers 1280 sqm of exhibition space for thematic exhibitions alternating at regular intervals. Either different artists from the collection are combined or the focus is put on only one artist represented in the collection.
Visiting this museum of arts, archaeology and history is travelling through time in a most fascinating way: The ›Lion Man‹ carved from mammoth ivory is more than 40,000 years old, which makes it the world's earliest figurative human/animal shaped sculpture.
Late Gothic sculptures and paintings give us an idea of the era in which Ulm Minster was built. The objects of the museum include sculptures by Joerg Syrlin the Elder and Michel Erhart as well as paintings by Bartholomew Zeitblom and Martin Schaffner.
The Walther Colleciton is a growing international art collection dedicated to exhibiting contemporary photography and video.
Its mission is to collect and present through indepth, annual exhibitions and a vigorous publishing program works of historical and contemporary significance from artists working in Africa, Asia and other parts of the world.
The Walther Collection
Reichenauer Straße 21