UlmCard Download Home Home 0

Crooked, hunchbacked, attractive

Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile
Silder tile

Ancient half-timbered house, including quirky constructions, narrow alleys, picturesque views, quaint restaurants; there are many reasons why the fishermen´s quarter attracts hordes of tourists from all over the world.

Even in the 19th century, the Ulm fishermen´s quarter that is crossed by the river Blau was the district of the sailors, tanners and Danube fishermen. Some of it must have been filled with a terrible stench, which is what happens when you process animal hides. There were also an abundance of mills. The Blau was the lifeblood for the craftsmen settled there.

The houses were both living and working spaces rolled into one. Its inhabitants were the ›Räsen‹, a headstrong group of people characterised by hard work.
When traditional craftsmen gradually disappeared in the 19th century, small traders stepped in to fill the void. It was not possible to earn big bucks here. This led to building structures increasingly deteriorating. Even before the war, parts of the quarter were in a dilapidated condition and this largely remained the same in the aftermath of 1945. In retrospect, this was fortuitous: Hence, it remained (scantily) preserved in its original form and escaped the demolition ball due to a lack of commercial pressure.

The resurgence began in the 1970s. The initial impulse emanated from an individual who saved and renovated the historic Lochmühle along with other ancient buildings. Many others are now following his lead. The narrow rows of tanners' houses on the Fischergasse are undergoing this process, too. This is recognisable by their balcony loggias once used for processing the hides.

The ›Crooked House‹ dating from 1443, the most well-known secular building in the quarter, in fact in Ulm itself, faithfully reflects this development. The fact that fishermen once dwelled here, was proven by the discovery of a basin for storing live catch in the cellar. In the 19th century, the inhabitants included cattle herders, factory workers and, for a short time, the totally impoverished widow of the tragic tailor from Ulm: a miserable community. Today it is an original hotel for time, culture or business travellers.

Address

Ulmer Fischer- und Gerberviertel
89073 Ulm

#ulmentdecken|#ulm|#neuulm

Share this page

Your city trip is just one click away

Accommodation for every taste