Big adventures despite a small budget
You can simply visit the most important tourist attractions. Some of the exhibitions and events are free of charge, too. We also have a few tips on premium, free experiences in the two-state city of Ulm/Neu-Ulm.
In Ulm/Neu-Ulm, you can marvel at the most important attractions without spending a penny. These include:
- Ulm cathedral (not during the organ concerts and without climbing the tower)
- Fishermen´s and tanners´ quarter
- Crooked house
- Einstein fountain
- Stadthaus Ulm and Kunstverein (art association) Ulm and their fantastic exhibitions
- Every first Friday in the month Museum Ulm along with Löwenmensch (Lion-man), kunsthalle (art gallery) weishaupt, HfG Archiv und Museum Brot und Kunst
- One city, two federal states on the Herdbrücke over the Danube.
- Observation tower on Prittwitzstraße. A wonderful view over Ulm.
- Information and films on the landmarks can be accessed for free via the app ›sQRibe‹.
Here are several free of charge experiences and events:
- The weekly markets in Ulm/Neu-Ulm every Wednesday and Saturday – some stands also have little samples that you can try! You can also purchase finger food here for next to nothing.
- Ulm tent – the area opposite the tent affords plenty of space for chilling and hanging out.
- Light serenade, Schwörfeier and Nabada – the highlights in Ulm´s calendar
- Christmas markets – unlike other cities the entrance is free of charge
- Book flea market, high-end flea market, night flea market, jamborees – all markets in the ROXY and ROXY studio (talk format with Dana Hoffmann) have no entrance fee.
Things to do...
- Every first and third Sunday in the month there are free tours through the federal fortress (alternating between Wilhelmsburg and Oberer Kuhberg) more detailed information here.
- Relish the views along the ridge way and fortress path
- Walk or jog along the Danube, in the Friedrichsau and the Glacis
- Gaze at plants in the botanical garden
- Do sports in the Wiley with halfpipe, play equipment and disc golf...
- Take a stroll in the rose garden
- Leap into one of the quarry lakes in Ulm/Neu-Ulm
- Savour a glass of beer or lemonade (of course you need to bring your own) on a blanket on the banks of the Danube.
- Quench your thirst at one of the four drinking water fountains in the Ulm/Neu-Ulm city centres.
- Fill up your water bottles at these ›refill stations‹:
- Rathaus Ulm (Marktplatz 1, 89073 Ulm)
- Fischerins Kleid (Fischergasse 6, 89073 Ulm)
- Starbucks Ulm (Münsterplatz 16, 89073 Ulm)
- STA Travel - Reisebüro Ulm (Hafengasse 2, 89073 Ulm)
- KornMühle BioLaden+BioBäckerei (Herrenkellergasse 8, 89073 Ulm)
- "Die Zeitarbeit" GmbH (Augsburger Straße 24, 89231 Neu-Ulm)
- Alfred Kärcher Vertriebs-GmbH – Niederlassung Neu-Ulm (Finninger Straße 46, 89231 Neu-Ulm)
Further information about travelling on a smaller budget
The cheapest way to get to Ulm/Neu-Ulm is by bike, train or bus. Ulm has a beautiful youth hostel and Neu-Ulm boasts a cosy hostel. The Ruderheim camping site, guest houses and budget hotels offer more reasonable priced overnight accommodation. The most important tourist attractions are all centrally located and easy to access on foot. For sights further afield, you can still explore the region by bike and public transport at a low price.
Save with the UlmCard: you cannot pass up the chance to climb the highest church tower in the world, and want to visit eight museums, sample your way through many free delicacies in cafés and restaurants and use public transport free of charge? Then this is how to experience Ulm/Neu-Ulm without shelling out lots of money.
Football, handball, basketball, gymnastics, tennis... the two-state city is sporty. Most sporting events – unless in the higher league – do not even charge a small entrance fee and catering is usually provided.