The “Wilhelmsburg” was built from 1842 to 1849 as the Citadel’s reduit. The Citadel comprised work XII of the “Wilhelmsburg” and works XIII to XVIII of Fort Wilhelm and was the largest of the town-wall fortifications. In contrast to all the other works; the “Wilhelmsburg” had no ramparts and consisted only of four re-inforced bunkers in the three towers. Over the decades, different regiments and units were stationed here.
After the Second World War, the “Wilhelmsburg” was officially used as a refugee camp, although several citizens of Ulm, whose homes had been bombed or requisitioned, also took shelter here. At any one time, a total of almost 3,000 people lived in the “Wilhelmsburg”, which had its own shop, post office and school.
In 1956, the newly formed German army moved in and up until 1970, soldiers were still stationed in the bunkers of the “Wilhelmsburg”.
Since then, the more than 570 rooms have been empty, apart from a few that have been rented out to companies.