In 1349 the “Metzgerturm” was integrated into Ulm´s fortifications. The 'leaning tower of Ulm” is 36 meters high and leans 2.05 meters in a north-westerly direction. This is not quite so much as its “big brother”, the leaning tower of Pisa (this slopes by 5.1°, the Metzgerturm by only 3.3°), but it is nonetheless quite considerable.
According to an anecdote, the tower got its name from some butchers in Ulm, who put sawdust in their sausages. When the customers found out, they locked them in the tower. When the angry Mayor entered the tower to deliver his verdict, the corpulent butchers cowered in one corner of the tower, causing it to lean over.
In actual fact, the tower is leaning because it is built on ground that was originally a swamp.